<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/platform.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar/7489604380878208362?origin\x3dhttp://you-arewhatyoueat.blogspot.com', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>
Sunday, August 28, 2011
Food Intake Assessment

Using the Food Intake Assessment tool provided on the Health Promotion Board website, I recorded down my three day diet to analyse my diet
Period of Analysis: 19/08/2011 - 21/08/2011
Energy (kcal)Carbohydrate (g)Protein (g)Total Fat (g)Saturated Fat (g)Cholesterol (mg)Calcium (mg)Dietary Fibre (g)Sodium (mg)
Average intake per day1,548149.089.266.925.3468.8411.411.53,047.4
Recommended Daily Allowance (RDA)1,919287.859.364.021.3191.91,000.019.21,279.7
% of recommendation met81521501051192444160238


View graph of actual nutritional intake compared against RDA

Energy
81%
Carbohydrate
52%
Protein
150%
Total Fat
105%
Saturated Fat
119%
Cholesterol
244%
Calcium
41%
Dietary Fibre
60%
Sodium
238%
0
50100150200250300350
% RDA Met


Table showing the % of total calories of diet versus recommendation
% of total energy intake
Your dietRecommendation
Total Carbohydrates38%55 - 65%
Total Protein23%10 - 15%
Total Fat39%25 - 30%

After viewing the results, I was quite shocked at the amount of cholesterol and sodium I had been consuming and I had been unaware of it O: From the table showing the % of total calories of my diet versus the recommended intake, it can be seen that I consume more fat than recommended, now I know where the extra weight came from >:3

1. My intake of saturated fat was higher than the recommended amount. That, together with cholesterol, can increase the blood cholesterol amount and thus put me in the risk of heart diseases.

The main sources of fat in our diet are also the sources of saturated fat! These include coconut-milk based foods, blended oil (usually used in commercial cooking), flavoured rice (e.g. chicken rice, nasi lemak, nasi briyani) and creamer/whitener/condensed and evaporated milk in beverages. Cutting down or limiting such sources of fat will also help to reduce saturated fat intake.

In order to reduce my saturated fat and cholesterol intake, I intend to cut down on my daily meat dishes and substitute them with vegetables or fish instead. For example, I could avoid eating meat on 2 days of the week.

2. My intake of sodium was more than 2 times the recommended intake! O: Excess sodium increases the blood volume, which then raises the pressure in our blood vessels. Hypertension or high blood pressure increases the risk of stroke and heart attacks.

The main source of sodium in our diet comes from salt (sodium chloride) and sauces added during cooking or at the table. To cut down on my sodium intake, I intend to ask my mum to reduce the amount of salt used in her cooking and also choose fresh food over processed food (:

3. My total fat intake was more than the recommended amount. A diet high in fat is associated with overweight, high blood cholesterol, heart disease and other related health problems.

In order to reduce the total fat intake, I intend to avoid eating fatty meat and oily food (such as chicken wings :\)

4. I am not getting enough dietary fibre in a day. An adequate intake of dietary fibre can help to promote proper bowel functions, reduce blood cholesterol and control blood glucose levels. I was quite shocked of that fact as I eat vegetables and fruits everyday. However, now I know that I do not eat enough vegetables. In order to increase my dietary fibre as well as to reduce my saturated fat and cholesterol intake, I intend to consume more vegetable dishes! :)

5. I was very shocked to find that I did not consume enough calcium. This is weird because I drink milk without fail everyday. Without adequate calcium, I may be at risk of developing osteoporosis, a condition where your bones become weak and brittle. If left untreated, osteoporosis can worsen until a fracture (crack or break in the bone) occurs.

To increase my intake, I intend to eat more leafy vegetables and also start eating tofu (something which I avoid)



4:26 PM

grains
SAMANTHA;
fourteen and a child of God!
thanks for stumbling upon my food blog, where i blog and analyse my three day diet and also introduce a healthy meal 8D enjoy your stay on my blog!

fruits
my favourite fruits
apple!
orange!
pear!
grapes!
cherries!


vegetables
August 2011
September 2011

food guides
partial basecodes:jellyhearts*
image:donwei(:
taking away this little portion is also known as sinning!(: